Track runs at Hillsdale, Drake

Bowling Green’s men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Gina Relays this past weekend at Hillsdale College while some members of the men’s team traveled to the Drake Relays in Iowa. Team scoring was not tallied at either meet.

At the Hillsdale meet the men were led by a first-place finish in the 4×100-meter relay with a time of 42.35. Also leading the Falcons was junior Zerian Peterson who ran to a second-place finish in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.18 and a fourth-place finish in the 400-meter run with a time of 48.39. Junior Keith Battle was third in the 200 behind Peterson with a time of 22.81.

“The weather really didn’t cooperate with us at either place this weekend,” said coach Sterling Martin. “I was really pleased with the distance runners at Hillsdale.”

Other Falcons who placed in their events at Hillsdale included junior Bryan Gardner with a fifth-place finish in the high jump and a mark of 1.930 meters. Junior Travis Hobbs tied for sixth place in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:56.30. Senior Pat Kania placed eighth in the hammer throw with a mark of 51.320 meters.

The Falcons ran into harsh weather at the Drake Relays as well, but still competed.

“Andre George ran about 53.5 in the 400 hurdles in a great field,” said Martin. “Drew Downey vaulted right around 16 feet again, and he’s getting very consistent in that range which scores in conference every year.”

The men’s team will compete at the Central Collegiate Championships this weekend in Mount Pleasant, Mich., against some of the top Mid-American Conference teams.

The women’s team compiled a plethora of first place finishes at Hillsdale including two victories by senior Lori Williams. Williams won the discus with a mark of 47.710 meters and the hammer throw with a mark of 54.440 meters. Her mark in the hammer throw was a new meet record as well as one of her best throws this season.

“Lori had a near-season best in the hammer, and she also placed third at the Penn Relays last Thursday,” said coach Scott Sehmann.

Two other Falcons took first place in their events. Sophomore Tamika Dixon won the 400-meter event with a time of 56.30 and classmate Alicia Taylor won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.54.

“Tamika Dixon’s time was a season best and Alicia Taylor ran a really solid race to win the 100 hurdles she was running into a head wind,” Sehmann said.

The field events were once again the strong suit for the Falcons. Junior Mary Willems placed second in the hammer throw behind Williams with a mark of 52.770 meters. Willems also placed sixth in the shot put with a throw of 13.380 meters and sixth in the discus with a mark of 38.170 meters. Willems set a new personal record in the hammer. In the shot put, sophomore Kerri McClung placed third with a mark of 13.530 meters and junior Chassity Gulley placed eighth with a throw of 12.620 meters. Senior Brooke Allen placed fifth in the javelin with a throw of 37.172 meters. Junior Bridget Kozy placed eighth in the high jump with a mark of 1.630 meters.

BG also fared well in the running events. The 4×100-meter relay placed third with a time of 49.67. Junior Joy Echler ran a 4:40.44 in the 1500-meter run, good enough for third place. Sophomore Ellen Alkire placed fifth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.40 and senior Christine Thompson placed fifth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:15.99. Freshman Valerie Holland placed seventh in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.97.

“We look really ready to go as MAC starts to approach us,” said Sehmann. “Overall we’re getting there and we’re making good progress as a team and looking good for the MAC.” The MAC championships are slated for May 16.

The Falcons will travel to Columbus for the Jesse Owens Classic this weekend.