Ribeau speaks on budget cuts

Budget cuts were main topic of concern at the Faculty Senate meeting yesterday afternoon.

One issue that was discussed was the men’s sports teams that were cut two weeks ago.

University President Sidney Ribeau said the main reason for the teams being cut was the 6 percent budget cut for higher education handed down by the state of Ohio last year.

“There will be no operations, no programs that will not be affected,” he said.

According to Ribeau, program cuts need to be made because the University does not want to cut funding for classes.

“We were not going to sacrifice anything essential to our core, which is teaching, learning and research,” he said.

William Albrecht, chairman of the Faculty Senate Budget Committee, expressed his own concerns over the state budget.

According to Albrecht, the committee’s projections for state funding a year ago turned out to be 12 percent lower than the actual funding, due to the 6 percent cuts last June and last fall.

“It is well within the realm of possibility for Bowling Green State University to receive additional cuts in funding next year,” Albrecht said.

Other items discussed at the Faculty Senate meeting included: According to John Folkins, University provost, many of the college departments are conducting searches for a dean, including the College of Musical Arts, and College of Education and Human Development. The Committee on Academic Affairs discussed its plans to develop guidelines for priority registration. There are none now. Graduate Student Senate announced that it was working on plans for the annual Sibs ‘n Kids Weekend, April 19-21. Diane Whitmire, administrative secretary for Faculty Senate, received an honorary award for her 10 years of service to the Faculty Senate. “Everyone who knows me knows I am not usually at a loss for words, but right now I am,” she said. “This is quite an honor to receive this.” U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur discussed two grants the University received.