BG track sweeps 4×400 at All-Ohio

Bowling Green’s men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the All-Ohio Championships this past weekend at Ohio State University, where the men finished seventh and the women finished sixth.

The men scored 60 points en route to their finish ahead of Ohio University, Findlay, Central State, and Youngstown State. Ohio State won the meet with 177 points. Mid-American Conference teams Kent State and Akron finished second and third.

BG won two events. Junior Zerian Peterson won the 400-meter dash with a time of 47.27, nearly a second faster than the second-place finisher. The 4×400-meter relay team was also victorious. With its time of 3:12.93, the Falcon team beat second place finisher Central State by nearly four seconds.

Freshman Dean Coticchia placed second in the high jump with a mark of 2.10 meters. Andre George, also a freshman, placed second in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 53.34. Junior Josh Cook and sophomore Ed Stonestreet placed third and sixth in the 800-meter run with times of 1:53.25 and 1:54.35. BG’s 4×100-meter relay team ran to a third place finish with a time of 41.30.

The men’s squad will travel to Kalamazoo, Mich., Saturday for the Western Michigan Quadrangular.

The women’s team scored 67 points to finish sixth. Kent State won the meet with 133 points, Ohio State finished second, and Akron finished third. BG finished ahead of MAC rival Toledo.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team finished first to complete a Bowling Green sweep of the event. BG’s time of 3:43.88 was nearly four seconds faster than the time of second-place Kent State. Sophomore Tamika Dixon and senior JoVone Houpe placed second and fifth in the open 400-meter dash with times of 56.33 and 57.17, respectively.

Others who finished in the top five in their events included sophomore Amber Culp, second place in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:22.42, and Alicia Taylor, third place in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.59. Junior Briana Killian ran to a fourth place finish in the 800-meter race with a time of 2:14.77.

BG was also well-represented in the field events. Senior Lori Williams took first place in the discus with a throw of 47.42 meters. Junior Brooke Allen placed fourth in the javelin with a throw of 35.38 meters. Junior Bridget Kozy placed fifth in the high jump with a leap of 1.62 meters.

The next meets for the squad are the Eastern Michigan Twilight Relays and the Kansas Relays this weekend.