Comedy still thriving

In response to the editorial by David W. Storie regarding “Comedy’s slow decay” maybe, Mr. Storie, you are not looking hard enough. There is some great sources for comedy out there today. You state that comedy has long been a source for political commentary, why don’t you watch “The Daily Show,” or perhaps look online at The Onion. You mention the falling of “Saturday Night Live,” but you can’t overlook the wry wit of “Weekend Update.” On TV their are plenty of sources for great laughs including “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “Adult Swim,” a two hour block of adult oriented cartoons on Cartoon Network that includes the hilarious “Space Ghost,” “The Brak Show,” and “Sealab 2021.”

Furthermore, some of the most innovative comedians are up and touring right now. People like David Cross, Dane Cook, and Chris Rock have emerged as great comedians for the next millennium. The bottom line is that for every “Inside Shwartz” there is an “Inside Shwartz” joke on Conan, for every lame Jay Leno joke their is a sharp bit on “The Daily Show.” Great comedy is never out in the open, it is always just under the surface, you just have to look for it.