U. works with city, gives grant

One of the goals of the University is to work more closely with the city of Bowling Green. Last November, the University gained $50,000 toward that goal.

The State Community, Higher Education and School Partnerships granted $50,000 to the University’s Partnerships for Community Action, to create a youth grant making council called KNOTS (Konnecting Northwest Ohio Through Service). Area youth in the program will put money toward services and issues in the community that they deem necessary.

“It’s great because it’s another example of how the University and the community are coming together to share ideas,” said Kathy Farber, director of Partnership for Community Action and principal investigator for the grant. “It’s also important because we’ll be helping youth learn about civic engagement and grant-making.”

KNOTS will be comprised with students form Bowling Green High School, Perryburg Junior HIgh and Sylvania Northview Highschool, as well as members of the University’s President’s Leadership Academy and PCA.

“It’s placing community resources in the hands of youth and allowing them to have a voice on issues that are important, rather than their needs being decided by adults,” said Sarah Stafford, youth advisor.

Nearly a year ago, the Partnership for Community Action applied for the grant to fund the KNOTS program. They were one of ten groups, out of 22 that applied, to receive a grant.

Since November, KNOTS has met twice to begin planning its course of action. Eventually, the goal of the program is to have five representatives to represent each of the partner schools.

“We’re interested in attracting a diverse group of youth, based on what sectors they represent,” Stafford said. “Not just race, but areas like athletes and honor students.”

Stafford, who is a senior at the University said she hopes the KNOTS program will continue to grow after she has left. “My personal goal is that it be sustainable,” she said. “We are looking at other resources, like funding from the University, that will help the program be successful in the future.”

Kathy Farber, director of PCA and principal investigator for the $50,000 grant said she hopes to be able to keep KNOTS going beyond the two year grant.

“One of the things the grant-making council will learn is how to raise funds,” she said. “I think it’s important for the campus to create opportunities for the youth to become involved in decision making in the areas of civic engagement and issues of the area.”