Falcons battle MU, Kentucky plays Zips

The four remaining teams in the Mid-American Conference men’s soccer tournament will play the final two rounds of the tournament at Bowling Green State University’s Mickey Cochrane Field starting today. Poor field conditions at Marshall University forced the tournament to move after last weekend’s quarterfinal round.

Bowling Green will have to play and beat the defending MAC champs to advance to the championship game. The winner of Sunday’s game will be the MAC representative at the NCAA tournament on Nov. 22.

The Falcons were spectators during the first round of the tournament at Marshall University after they won the regular season MAC championship and earned the No. 1 seed for the tournament and a first round bye.

No. 2 Akron will play No. 3 Marshall at noon today in the first semifinal match while Bowling Green will face No. 5 Kentucky in today’s second match at 2:30. The winners will play in the MAC Championship game on Sunday at 1 p.m. All games will be played at Mickey Cochrane Field in Bowling Green.

“I think we’ve got two great match-ups. These are the four teams that had their games postponed. In the semifinals the four teams that were left hadn’t played each other so it was only fair that they get a chance to play each other,” BG coach Mel Mahler said. “These are four great teams and anyone who gets through this weekend will represent the MAC very well in the NCAAs.”

Bowling Green and Kentucky will renew their rivalry in the quest for each team’s fourth MAC championship.

“They’re [Kentucky] the defending champs, they’re the team to beat. Until someone knocks them off, they’re the champs even though they’ve struggled in the regular season. They’re still the team that we’re going to have to go through,” Mel Mahler said.

One of the advantages the Falcons will have over Kentucky is that they were able to watch them play in the first round.

“I think it’ll be a very difficult game. Bowling Green’s at home, they’re the regular season champion,” said Kentucky coach Ian Collins. “They come into the game full of confidence and I think it’ll be a very tough game for us. We’re going to have to be at the top of our game to get any chance.”

While a bye in the first round seemed ideal for the Falcons, being the No. 1 seed has advantages and disadvantages.

“We haven’t played in two weeks and that’s a little bit of a concern — that we’ve had more downtime then they have but on the other hand it’s helped us get some guys that were a bit banged up healthy,” Mahler said.

After starting the season 0-8, the Falcons were to travel to Kentucky to play the defending MAC champions. Heavy rain caused the game to be cancelled and the Wildcats are the only MAC team that the Falcons have not played this season.

After the cancellation of the Kentucky game, BG won two games in a row and went on to finish 5-4 in the second half of the season. The Falcons were 4-1 in the MAC, losing only to Western Michigan, 1-0.

“We could have easily been 7-2. We’re pleased with that,” Mahler said. “With our experience to be close to .500 the second half of the season is good and the fact that we won the four games in the conference to give us the No. 1 seed is even better.”

Bowling Green soccer teams have a history of success in the MAC tournament. BG defeated Buffalo in three overtimes in the first round of last year’s tournament, but lost to eventual champion, Kentucky in the semifinals.

In 2000, the Falcons defeated Buffalo in the semifinals but lost to Kentucky in the championship game.

BG last won the MAC championship in 1997. The Falcons won three straight championships under Coach Mahler from 1995 to 1997. They also finished second in 1994 and 1998.

One aspect of tournament play that could work to BG’s advantage is the tendency for the games to be close, low-scoring games. The Falcons have played in numerous close games this season, especially in the second half of the season. In seven of their final eight games the Falcons either won by one goal or lost by one goal.

“I think being in close games makes you battle tough but at the same time two-thirds of this team has never been to a conference tournament and have yet to experience the intensity,” Mahler said.

“The regular season match is one thing. Tournament play is completely different. The fact that we’ve played a lot of close games down the stretch has prepared them as best as we can, but there’s no replacement for experience firsthand.

Both teams have said they need to play their best games of the season today to move on to the next round and for a possible invitation to the NCAA tournament.

“The reason why you play is for a chance to go to a national championship, getting into the national tournament,” Senior Matt Leardini said. “Anything can happen and we have to take one game at a time. We can’t overlook anybody. Making the tournament would be a great accomplishment for not just us but the whole team.”