FBI agents catch escapees

GOSHEN, Ind. — The second of two escaped inmates suspected of abducting a South Carolina woman during a multistate crime spree was captured Wednesday in Indiana. The woman’s whereabouts were not immediately known.

Chadrick E. Fulks, 25, was being questioned Wednesday afternoon.

FBI agent Kathy Guider said federal agents had notified Goshen officials that Fulks might be headed there because his father and brother live in the area. Fulks was caught by a police officer after a short chase on foot, but Guider would provide no further details on the arrest.

Ohio troopers believe they saw Fulks on Monday in north-central Ohio and chased him but he got away.

FBI agent Tom VanWormer said it was not immediately clear if authorities were any closer to finding 44-year-old Alice Donovan. Authorities believe the woman was kidnapped last week from a Wal-Mart parking lot in Conway, S.C., by Fulks and another escaped inmate, L. Branden Basham, who was captured on Sunday. Police said the woman’s ATM card had been used near Raleigh, N.C., last week.

Fulks, 25, and Basham, 21, broke out of the Hopkins County jail in Kentucky on Nov. 4.

They are suspected of abducting a 42-year-old Kentucky man two days later and leaving him tied to a tree with duct tape and electrical cord. The man freed himself after 14 hours.

Basham was arrested Sunday after authorities said he tried to hijack a car at an Ashland, Ky., mall. Without elaborating, Kentucky police said Basham’s arrest yielded “a lot of leads” in the search for Donovan.

At the time of the escape, Basham was serving a five-year sentence for writing a bad check. He had broken out of the same jail in February but was quickly caught. Fulks was awaiting trial on robbery charges.

Ohio troopers believed they spotted Fulks late Monday sleeping in a blue BMW parked in a rest area in Marion County. The man sped off when the trooper ordered him out of the car and nearly ran over another officer. The pursuit was halted to make sure the officer was OK.