Program stresses proper etiquette

QUICK ETIQUETTE TIPS

APPLY: Use common sense and everday manners.

IMITATE: Follow the lead of the host or elder.

WATCH: Pay attention to what is going on around you.

Mind your manners. That was just one of many tips given to students who attended Professional Etiquette, a program held on Oct. 23.

The program, sponsored by the Career Center, focused on three aspects of etiquette. The first part of the program was a two hour dinner with a guest speaker. The speaker focused on place settings so that students would know which of the five forks in front of them to use and when.

The second aspect of the program covered business protocol, interactions and behaviors of the workplace. The third and final aspect of Professional Etiquette was about networking and the importance of building professional relationships.

Dennis Hefner, assistant director and recruiting manager for Career Services, stressed the goal of the program.

“We’re trying to educate students on processes, some behaviors and give them some tips,” he said. “We feel that students for any major, no matter what they go into … they are going to have an experience where an employer, a client, a customer (or) someone is going to take them to a formal setting.”

Etiquette has three essential rules, according to Hefner. The first is to use common sense and everyday manners. The second is to follow the lead of the host or elder; in other words, be a good follower. He also stressed paying attention to what is going on around you.

Etiquette is used in many settings. Outside of the workplace a professional etiquette is more appropriate for an art show or attending a show, while a mix of both social and professional etiquette is more useful for occasions such as galas, evening events and grand openings.

The key to etiquette is to tune into who you are interacting with, he said.

“Be aware of their background, their culture, the purpose you’re meeting them for, what they want out of the meeting or interaction and then work to make that a good experience,” Hefner said.

Students can find etiquette useful in a variety of situations. It can be helpful for a student who is invited by their potential or current employer to a lunch or dinner. Students hosting prominent guests on campus can use etiquette when taking the them out for dinner. Hefner also cited leadership and professional conferences as places where etiquette is used.

Workplace etiquette is important any time someone is meeting with customers, clients, partners or anyone business related. Proper etiquette also makes someone more approachable for clients and customers, he said. The way you answer the phone and leave voice mail messages is also important.

Hefner also offered a few suggestions for students on how to interact with professors. When leaving voice mail for them, speak slowly and audibly, leaving a brief, to-the-point message. He also stressed the necessity of leaving your contact information and what time you can be reached. When writing e-mails, students should use proper grammar and spelling so that the person reading the message knows the writer took time and cares about what they are writing.

First impressions are very important, even if they are made through e-mail or voice mail messages instead of face-to-face meetings, he added.

For information on programs similar to Professional Etiquette, visit the Career Center in room 360 of the Student Services Building or call 419-372-2356.