DeGraff brings experience

Former Columbus Crew goalie Mark Dougherty played against a lot of good goalkeepers in Major League Soccer. Dougherty has worked with many talented goalies and he admits that Bowling Green’s David DeGraff is one of them.

“Dave’s a great kid, a smart soccer player, and a good student. On the field he’s one of our leaders and he leads by example,” Dougherty said. “His work ethic is second to none and of all the goalkeepers I’ve worked with he ranks right up there as one of the top guys.”

Dougherty joined the Falcon soccer staff last Spring and has since assisted BGSU’s head coach Mel Mahler.

DeGraff, a junior and BG’s starting goalkeeper since he was a freshman, leads the Mid-American Conference in saves this season with 58.

This season has been an adjustment for DeGraff, a native of Naperville, Ill., and the rest of the Falcons after the team started the season with eight straight losses in non-conference games.

During that time opponents were outscoring Bowling Green 25-6.

“He’s certainly had a stellar year and his statistics don’t really fairly reflect that. I would say he’s made improvements [from last season] in areas that are probably less noticeable to the average fan,” Dougherty said. “And that is his psychological approach to the game and his leadership in the team. Obviously he’s always been a very good shot stopper and from what people see from the stands he’s a very athletic goalkeeper.”

When the conference games began Bowling Green was able to limit the number of goals their opponents scored and increase the number of goals that they scored. In three conference games this season DeGraff has posted a shutout and conference opponents have scored only two goals on the BG defense. The Falcons have outscored opponents 7-2 in conference matches.

DeGraff is recognized as one of the best, if not the best, goalkeeper in the MAC conference, according to Dougherty.

“Typical goalies at the highest level possess what he possesses and that is quick reactions. His ability on one versus one situations, breakaway situations, is highly regarded,” Dougherty said. “He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen at that.”

On a fairly young and inexperienced team, DeGraff is the anchor for an experienced defense that includes senior Matt Leardini and red-shirt junior Matt Martinka.

“Right now I can offer the team a lot of things in leadership from the back,” DeGraff said. “I also play along with three defenders who are also upper classmen, so us coming out of the back is a big benefit for our team.”

The lack of experience up front may have hurt the Falcons early in the season but now with the conference playoffs approaching the team knows that it can rely on a seasoned playoff squad behind them. The defenders have playoff experience from last year when the Falcons advanced to the semifinals of the MAC tournament but eventually lost 1-0 to Kentucky. In 2000 the Falcons lost in the MAC Championship game to Kentucky 1-0.

The Falcons have focused all season on the conference games and the significance of winning MAC games. The team has improved with time and experience and the Falcons are eager to improve their 3-1 record in the conference to 4-1 after Sunday.

“I think there’s always an adjustment period just getting to know the guys, getting to know the things they do. Just over time you mesh together,” DeGraff said. “It’s taking a little bit longer than a lot of people would like but I think in the end we’ll get the job done.”

The team and coaches will look for DeGraff’s reaction ability, his quickness, and his read of the game to win this Sunday against Akron. If they win Sunday the Falcons secure one of the top seeds in the MAC tournament.

Despite what happens this season, DeGraff still has one more year to play for the Falcons. As a senior next season he can solidify his reputation as one of BG’s best goalies and one of the MAC’s best goalkeepers. After that, he will think about a professional career.

“I would like to [play professionally]. I’ve put in all this time and effort so far and if things work out then they do,” DeGraff said.

Dougherty is looking forward to the off-season training sessions where DeGraff can work on aspects of his game that he doesn’t have time to dedicate to during the season.

“His aspirations are to move on and play professionally. At what level remains to be seen,” Dougherty said.