After first OU drive, Falcons roll to big win

Two bye weeks in three weeks did affect the Bowling Green football team. Just not how the Ohio University Bobcats had hoped.

The extra rest and preparation only made the Falcons more ready to take the field on Saturday and more eager to show the crowd how good they really are. The off week could not slow BG’s early season momentum; injuries to two key players could not slow the momentum; the Ohio University defense could not slow any aspect of BG’s 72-point attack.

The Falcons toppled Ohio in their first MAC game of the season, 72-21 at Doyt L. Perry Stadium on Saturday to remain unbeaten in their first four games.

The win proved costly, however, as the Falcons lost two key players. Senior tailback Joe Alls and junior defensive back Michael Malone suffered separated shoulders in the first half and will likely miss at least next week’s game against Central Michigan.

The Falcons now lead the nation in scoring, averaging 50.8 points per game.

Ohio’s option offense scored on the game’s first possession, but after that, BG was able to contain the Bobcats’ leading rusher, Chad Brinker. Brinker rushed for 27 yards and did not score. He was averaging 107 yards rushing per game prior to Saturday.

After the Bobcat offense rushed for 406 yards in their win against Buffalo last week, the BG defense held OU to 181 yards on the ground and 19 yards passing.

BG had focused on maintaining possession at practices during the week off. The Falcons had the ball for 31:37 compared to OU’s 28:23 and were able to capitalize on nearly every possession. BG punted once, fumbled once, did not throw an interception, and scored on every drive except for two.

“We made a big deal about every possession and how much we should value every possession,” BG coach Urban Meyer said. “It was great the way that offense and defense took care of each other.”

Junior quarterback Josh Harris led the Falcon offense to their fourth consecutive 39 + point performance.

Harris continues to lead the nation in scoring, averaging 15 points per game after he ran for two touchdowns and passed for four more on Saturday. He completed 19 of 24 pass attempts for 292 yards and rushed for 75 yards.

Harris was impressed with the Falcon offense and how the team was able to rebound after OU scored on their first possession.

“It felt really good to start the game and go down and score on our first drive,” Harris said. “We felt as though we needed to answer because the momentum would have gone their way.

“Everything seems to be going right for this team now,” Harris said. “The plays we call are supposed to work, and every defense is designed to stop you. Everything is just clicking for us now and everybody is making plays.”

True freshman P.J. Pope replaced Alls at running back and rushed for 117 yards and his first collegiate touchdown.

“I just tried to come and fill in and so that the offense gained their confidence in me,” Pope said. “I didn’t want to come in and be a weak link so I just tried to play as hard as I could.”

Notes:

The 72-point performance was the most ever by Bowling Green in a MAC game and the third highest point total in school history. … The Falcons led 37-14 at halftime, marking the third game this season that BG has scored 30 or more points before halftime. … BG had a school record 37 first downs in the game.

Ohio had 12 first downs. … Redshirt freshman Charles Sharon had seven receptions for 92 yards. … Senior Robert Redd had three touchdown receptions which tied his career high. … Redshirt freshman B.J. Lane scored his first collegiate touchdown on a 48-yard run. … Kicker Shaun Suisham’s streak of 61 straight extra point attempts made ended after the Falcons scored in the second quarter. … 20,069 fans were in attendance.