With bladder infection, Wagner out to start year

The Cavs’ rookie point guard will begin this season on the injured reserve with a bladder infection.

CLEVELAND — Cavaliers rookie guard Dajuan Wagner will begin the season on the injured list after being hospitalized for nearly two weeks with a bladder infection.

Wagner, taken with the No. 6 overall pick in this year’s draft, will miss the first five games this season. He won’t be eligible to be activated until Nov. 8 when Cleveland is at Philadelphia.

The 19-year-old Wagner had been in the Cleveland Clinic since Oct. 14 when he was admitted with stomach pains. Doctors diagnosed a bladder infection, but while doing tests they found a blood clot in the tube connecting Wagner’s left kidney and bladder.

Wagner had the clot removed last week in surgery last week.

Cavs spokesman Ed Markey said Wagner was released from the clinic yesterday. He will begin a reconditioning program on Tuesday and will return to the hospital for a follow-up on Wednesday, Markey said.

Wagner didn’t play during the preseason. The club is counting on him to be a major contributor this season.

The 6-foot-2 Wagner averaged 21.2 points per game in his one college season at Memphis.

Wagner’s absence means the Cavs will be without their coach, starting center and top rookie for the season opener Tuesday night at Sacramento.

Coach John Lucas has to sit out the season’s first two games after being suspended by the NBA for allowing high school superstar LeBron James to participate in a voluntary workout in May.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas must sit out the opener following his arrest on drunken driving charges.

On a brighter note, the Cavs exercised the team’s fourth-year option on center/forward Chris Mihm.

The 7-foot Mihm is entering his third season with the Cavs, who took him with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2000 draft. He averaged 7.7 points and 5.3 rebounds in 74 games last season.

“We’re happy to have extended Chris’ contract,” said Cavs general manager Jim Paxson. “Chris is part of the core group of young players that we believe will develop together.”

Mihm, too, is currently injured. He strained his left hamstring during a preseason practice and will probably not be ready to play for two more weeks.