Out for Revenge

The big game of the year is just one day away and the Bowling Green football team can hardly wait for the Missouri Tigers to get here.

Both head coaches are in their second season at their respective schools and are already showing signs of turning their programs around.

Last year, BG head coach Urban Meyer had the best turnaround ratio in the nation (2-9 to 8-3), while Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel had seven points of emphasis he wanted to meet. He met all of them, even though his overall record (4-7) might not have shown it. His points of emphasis were: a “recruiting machine,” the ability to build relationships, organization and discipline, player development, commitment to academics, a passion for the game, and a proven winner.

“Coach Pinkel made some great strides in a year with his team, and the players are playing extremely confidently,” said linebacker Chris Haneline. “They look very impressive on film, so it is going to be a challenge for us. They have a new quarterback in there who is the leader of the offense and a tremendous athlete. He is extremely fast, he throws the ball really well and makes good reads on the field.”

The Falcons know what is in store for them and they are up to the challenge.

“We realize what’s ahead of us,” Meyer said. “I think we’re fortunate to play Missouri in Coach Pinkel’s first two years. I’m not real excited about playing Missouri in about three or four years when Brad Smith is a junior or senior and he’s been in that program.”

Smith is a redshirt freshman and has started the first two games for the Tigers as the leading quarterback. He became Missouri’s first freshman to start the season opener in school history. Smith has committed zero turnovers, has not taken a sack, and hasn’t committed a penalty in two games.

“This kid can do everything,” Meyer said. “Any time you face a quarterback that gives you that scramble, that kind of potential, that’s a serious concern.”

Smith leads the nation’s freshmen in rushing (121.5 ypg) and total offense (285.5 ypg) and ranks third among the nation’s freshmen quarterbacks in passing efficiency (112.9 rating).

“I think he’s the prototype guy people are looking for,” Meyer said. “You have a guy who’s strictly a pocket passer, there’s a variety of things you can do for that. You can take away their best receiver very easily. The things you can’t handle is if he’s going to run the ball, if he’s going to scramble when you do get pressure, then you have to pull the defensive lineman out and spy. Now that’s one less guy rushing the quarterback, so there’s just a multitude of problems an athletic quarterback gives you.”

Smith has the Tigers offense rolling in high gear, as Missouri ranks 15th nationally in rushing offense (253.0 ypg), 26th in total offense (437.0 ypg) and 28th in scoring offense (37.0 ppg).

“This will be the best team we’ve played since I’ve been here,” Meyer said. “We’ve got to do the things we’ve done in games we won before or we won’t have a chance.”

This matchup is not only a great opportunity for BG, but it is also important for the Mid-American Conference to show how good it actually is.

“It’s a great opportunity, but it’s only a good opportunity if we take advantage of it,” Meyer said. “Yeah, they’re coming in, but that’s just stage one. Stage two is you better show up and play your hearts out because you have to first of all stay close and compete. Second of all that’s our job as a member of the MAC.”