A brown win

The Bowling Green hockey team held its annual Brown and Orange game on Saturday night, and the Brown team came away with a 5-3 victory.

This was the first chance for hockey fans to get out and see the Falcons perform.

ìI think we did pretty well,î said senior assistant captain Tyler Knight. ìIt looked like guys were playing pretty hard. Iím pretty happy with the way the game went.î

Knight recorded the first goal of the game 12:18 into the first period for the White (also called Orange) team.

Freshmen Bryan Dobek and Ryan Barnett registered the next two goals for the Brown team to give them a 2-1 lead at the end of the first period.

ìWe had the ability to make some very good plays,î said head coach Scott Paluch. ìThe offense picked up and I was very excited.î The intermission consisted of a skills competition, with three contests taking place with a goal apiece at stake.

The first competition was the fastest skater race. Junior captain DíArcy McConvey defeated Knight to win the race and give the Brown team another goal.

The next competition was the hardest shot, which was won by transfer Alex Rogosheke. Rogoshekeís two slapshots registered at 85 and 84 m.p.h., to give the White team a goal.

The final competition was the showdown, where five players from each team took shots on goal. The Brown team won the showdown by a 4-1 margin, giving them a 4-2 lead going into the second period.

Freshman Mike Falk scored the first goal in the second period at 23:25 to cut Brownís lead in half, 4-3.

McConvey scored the final goal of the game with 1:25 remaining in the second period to give the Brown team a 5-3 victory.

ìI was very excited,î Paluch said. ìThe work ethic for the 50 minutes was tremendous. We were only working with two lines and two sets of defensemen, so I thought the work ethic was outstanding.î

The Brown and Orange game was a chance for the coaches to try out different lines to see which ones worked the best and which ones werenít going to work.

ìI think there were some good combinations out there,î Paluch said. ìThe actual lines I think had some good chemistry. We have a good foundation.î

The Brown team was coached by athletic trainer Jonathan Willey, while the White team was coached by equipment manager Scott Jess.

Throughout the game, Paluch walked around the stands and introduced himself to many of the students. He also took the mic and gave an inspirational speech at the end of the game.

ìWeíve only had like two, two and a half practices with the coach and weíve learned a lot so far,î Knight said. ìWeíre on the right track.î

The players and coaches were on hand after the game to talk with the fans and sign autographs..