Walk raises money for diabetes

“Walk to Cure Diabetes” is dedicated to finding a cure for diabetes. Each year the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation holds this walk all across the country at 200 sites. Toledo holds the largest walk in Northwest Ohio. It is the fastest growing fundraising event in the history of the JDRF.

In 2001, over 750,000 people walked for a cure, raising $78 million between all 200 sites. This year Findlay will host the walk along with Toledo. Julie Frankart, the chairperson for the JDRF’s walk in Findlay, says they are expecting at least 300 participants on Saturday.

“When my daughter was 4, she was diagnosed with diabetes. Since then I have volunteered for JDRF to find a cure,” Frankart said.

JDRF is the world’s leading nonprofit, nongovernmental funder of diabetes research. Founded in 1970 by parents of children with diabetes, the organization has provided for research world-wide.

Diabetes is a chronic disease affecting every organ system. Type one diabetes is known as juvenile disease. It is caused by immune system destruction of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. With Type one, you must take insulin to live. Usually it strikes in childhood, hence, juvenile diabetes, and lasts a lifetime.

Type two diabetes is a metabolic disorder, infecting you as an adult. Their bodies produce insulin, but are unable to use it effectively. Type two does not always require insulin injections. Actually, the increase of obesity in the U.S. has led to an ‘epidemic’ in Type two cases.

The JDRF has helped the wonders of technology’s search for a cure.

“With the money we have helped raise, we have come very close in some areas, with replacing cells and even getting patients off of insulin for years,” Frankart said.

In walks all over, even colleges have support teams that raise money and walk for diabetes. To most, it may not seem that common, but maybe thats just because you can’s see it. It’s more common among us than you would believe.

According to the JDRF, 16 million Americans have been diagnosed with the disease, and another 5.4 million remain undiagnosed. Diabetes kills one American every three minutes. Scary isn’t it?

“Our goal is to find a cure. If we keep up the awesome fundraising and more and more people support us, we have a chance to succeed,” Frankart commented.

Only research will find a cure for diabetes. Research takes money. The Walk to Cure Diabetes will be held in Findlay this Saturday and Toledo on Sept. 28. It is not too late to help find a cure for so many people.