Debate to focus on cannabis

“The Great Debate!” is coming to campus tonight and the University Activities Organization is expecting a good turnout of students.

Steven Hager and Robert Stutman will be debating back-and-forth over the legalization of marijuana in the United States. The two have been traveling across the country to debate on the subject for years and are being brought to campus by Scott Wolfman’s company Wolfman Productions.

Hager, who will debate for the legalization of marijuana is the editor-in-chief of High Times magazine, a publication based solely on marijuana.

Stutman, on-the-other-hand, who will be debating for the continued illegal status of marijuana, is known for being one of America’s highest profile drug busters. He worked for 25 years with the Drug Enforcement Administration.

According to Wolfman, High Times is read mostly by “hippies and heads who like to smoke pot.” Unsure of the publication’s circulation rate, Wolfman said that High Times runs a variety of ads, ranging from products that can help people pass drug tests to bongs.

Although UAO is best known for bringing musical acts and comedians to campus, this education debate should turn out to be popular among students.

“I think there is a lot of talk in the nation about this subject right now,” said Jordan Ohler, UAO president. “A few states had laws on their ballots concerning the issue, and there has been a lot of talk in general. We [UAO] wanted to do something thought provoking and educational — not just music and comedy all the time.”

There will be a third participant in the debate, a moderator from the University, Loren E Lomasky a professor from the Philosophy Department. Lomasky was chosen by UAO to be the moderator at the event and should prove to be a good addition to the debate.

“This should be a thought provoking conversation,” Ohler said. “UAO likes to do this type of stuff.”

Ohler said that there should be time for students to ask questions of the two debators at the end of the debate.

The Debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom. The Ballroom can hold 1,000 students and will be open to University students with a valid student identification.

Ohler said that the debate will last about two hours and that students should find the event entertaining.

“Although they’ve been travelling together, this is by no means a planned bantar,” Ohler said. “I’m sure that they know each other’s arguments, but that it changes all the time. Especially with students’ questions.”