Tennis goes on road to Indiana

The Bowling Green’s women’s tennis team will have a weekend without matches and then get thrown right back into the their tough, non-conference schedule on March 15 when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. for two matches in one day.

The Falcons will play Indiana University on Saturday morning and take on Indiana State that afternoon.

The two non-conference matches will give the Falcons a break from their Mid-American Conference schedule, but the Falcons will be coming off a two-week layoff from match play.

Against the Hoosiers, the Falcons face a team that is 6-7 on the season. Indiana had lost five straight but snapped their losing streak with a 6-1 win over Butler last weekend. The Hoosiers captured all three doubles matches en route to the win. The no. 56 Hoosiers lost to no. 75 DePaul later that day, 5-2.

Indiana’s Sarah Batty has established herself at the top flight, winning her last three singles matches.

Indiana State blanked Western Illinois last weekend for their fourth straight victory, then fell to DePaul, 7-0.

The Falcons feel they are ready for a nationally-ranked Indiana squad after playing Cincinnati and DePaul earlier in the season.

“I think we are playing stronger than when we played Cincinnati and DePaul. I think now we’re more ready for close matches,” BG coach Penny Dean said. “If the score is three-all and someone’s still playing, we’re more ready for that, and that’s how our season is going to be so it’s a good thing we’re getting ready for that.”

The Falcons continue to work on improving their doubles play and their doubles skills. Dean said that the doubles point will be important in the matches. She also stressed the importance of preparing for longer singles matches, as she anticipates some of the matches will be.

“I’m a little apprehensive to come back and have two days of practice, and then play Indiana and Indiana State,” Dean said.

“That’s two really tough matches. It’ll throw us right back into the fire so to speak. It’s kind of good because we are getting a break before that and I think we need it.”