Summer classes in favor of BGSU

Traditionally summer is seen as a break from the rigors of school work. However, many students choose to continue on with their education and enroll in summer classes.

Summer classes have many advantages, one of them being small class size.

Smaller classes typically result in a more interactive classroom, and more one-on-one time with professors.

“The teachers seem to focus more of their attention on each individual student, giving every student more of a chance to excel,” Lauren Schulze, a recent graduate of the U. said.

Dennis Hale, a profesor of journalism who has taught summer classes, said “I enjoy summer classes. They can be difficult because the material is condensed into six weeks, but after that six weeks, it’s over.”

Summer classes offer students a chance to get a few credit hours closer to graduation as well. Those struggling to make a certain graduation date, or those in a rush to enter the real world, can use summer classes to help them meet these goals.

“Summer classes gave me the opportunity to be closer to graduating, sooner than anticipated,” senior biochemistry major Brett Digman said.

“Summer classes can be helpful to students trying to catch up on some credit hours,” Lynn Pearson, a teacher who taught Spanish 212 last summer, added.

Other perks associated with summer classes are increased job opportunities, both on and off campus, and tuition and housing breaks, for those who qualify.

Also, the Bowling Green community “turns into a place of mature and intelligent people, making it a fun place to live,” according to junior recreation major Wes Brasse.

Summer classes are offered in three different sessions. The first session is six weeks long, and begins on May 19th. The second session is eight weeks long and begins on June 16th. The final session is six weeks long and begins on June 30th.

More information on summer classes can be obtained by contacting the Big Summer Advantage office at 372-9141, or visiting www.contend.bgsu.edu.