Offenhauer remodels

Construction crews have set up camp next to Offenhauer Towers. They are building an addition next to Offenhauer East which will house an emergency power generator.

The generator will be used for both east and west towers in case of power interruption to the buildings.

Construction began approximately one month ago, according to James McArthur, University architect. The general contractor is Mosser Construction.

The construction coincides with a renovation of both Offenhauer towers. The renovation will be conducted in three phases, McArthur said.

Phase one includes renovating restrooms and showers of the east tower on floors six through 10. The project also calls for installing new data and communications for the tower.

This summer, a fire sprinkler system for the east tower will be completed. Other fire safety improvements will also be installed. To finish phase one, masonry repairs and window replacements will be conducted on the east and north sides of the building. Phase two will begin in the summer of 2004. During this phase, restroom renovations for floors one through five of the east tower will be completed. The remaining masonry repairs and window replacements will also be completed on the north and west side of the east tower.

Renovations will also begin for the west tower in 2004. The west tower will see the same renovations that the east tower will face this summer.

The third and final phase of the renovations will take place during summer of 2005. At this time, restroom renovations will be completed for floors one through five in the west tower. The west tower will also have masonry repairs and window replacements. “This is a three phase project that should nicely retrofit both towers for improved living and increased safety,” McArthur said.