BG fired up for matches

As the end of the semester approaches so does the end of the regular season for the women’s tennis team.

The Falcons will face the University of Akron today and the University at Buffalo tomorrow. Both matches will take place at 1 p.m.

“It’s our last weekend, our last home weekend and our last home matches for our one senior, Alyson [Gabel],” head coach Penny Dean said.

Last weekend Gabel defeated Ball State’s Jill Wieman at the No. 3 singles position.

Gabel transferred to BG after playing at Miami for two years. While with the RedHawks, she earned two letters.

“I think we have to remain focused and practice hard. We can’t take these matches lightly,” Dean said. “Both teams can be dangerous.”

The Falcons come into this weekend with an 8-10 overall record and a 3-4 mark in the Mid-American Conference. BG defeated Ball State last weekend 4-3, so the Falcons will be looking to carry some of that momentum over into their matches this weekend.

“There is no way we shouldn’t be fired up to play our last two regular season matches here,” Dean said. “It’s a long season. I think it’s to our advantage that we don’t have to travel.”

The Zips, who are 6-12 overall and 1-6 in league play, are coming off a 7-0 sweep against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne Monday.

“Akron is strong at the top,” Dean said. “Their No. 1 player is one of the best players in the league. I think we have better depth than they have. They will come in, and they always play hard.”

Irina Strembitsky leads the way for the Zips in the No. 1 position. She was named MAC Player of the Week this week and has won 12-straight singles matches, including a victory last week over Eastern Michigan’s No. 79-ranked, 2002 MAC Player of the Year Lisa D’Ameilo.

Strembitsky owns a team-best 15-2 dual-season singles mark and a league-best 6-1 record.

After facing Akron, the Falcons will take on Buffalo tomorrow. The Bulls come into this match with a 6-11 overall record and a 0-7 record in league play.

“Buffalo always comes to play,” Dean said. “You can’t overlook them. They set goals for their matches.”

The Bulls are coming off two losses last weekend. Buffalo fell to Eastern Michigan on Friday (0-7) and Toledo on Saturday (1-6).