Peers help peers in UNIV 202

Many students are unaware of the variety of class options that are available at the University.

One of these options is the chance to earn credit by becoming a Peer Facilitator through the University 202 class.

Peer Facilitators have the role of teaming up with a University 100 instructor to assist in teaching the class.

UNIV 100 was made to help these students adjust to college life.Peer Facilitators are expected to guide students through their first year on campus.

Not only do they offer insight and initiate class discussion but they are expected to develop a class schedule with the instructor of the course as well. The position is also designed so that person serves as a campus resource and serves as a role model to the UNIV 100 students.

“My role was to assist Dr. Vickie Shields, whom I was paired up with in any way possible,” former facilitator Nicole Steffan said. “I was in charge of grading papers, taking attendance, teaching lessons myself, contacting speakers for the class and so on.” Students appreciate the information that facilitators offer.

“My Peer Facilitator was both interesting and enlightening,” freshman Michael Robles, former UNIV 100 student, said. “She made the class room more comfortable because she added a student’s point of view.”

Applicants are must have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher, have completed at least one semester at the University, plan to attend and participate in four Peer Facilitating training courses and abide by and support the policies of the University. Facilitators who complete these requirements receive two credits and valuable experience.

“Serving as a Peer Facilitator is an excellent opportunity to develop and enhance critical thinking, leadership and problem-solving skills that will transfer to every career and field of study,” said Jodi Webb, Director of Orientation and First Year Programs.

Junior Katie Pawlak, former Peer Facilitator, agrees that this is a successsful program. “There are so many benefits of being involved with the program,” she said. “I am going to be a teacher and by being a peer facilitator, I now have experience writing syllabi, planning and executing lesson plans, developing assignments and working with both students and instructors. By being a facilitator, I already have confidence in my teaching.”

According to Webb, more than 45 students participated in the program for this school year.

“The program has received an increased number or applicants and gains popularity each year,” Webb said.

Students who are interested in applying will need a letter of recommendation from a faculty or staff member and can apply online. Applications are due Feb. 7. For more information, call Orientation and First Year Programs at 372-9646.