BG offers tanning possibilities

With spring break approaching, many University students are flocking to local tanning salons to prepare for their sunny destinations.

The city has around 13 salons to choose from. Some businesses popular with students are Campus Tanning located on East Wooster, The Tanning Center which has three locations, South Main Street, North Main Street, and East Wooster Street, and Changing Times Hair and Tanning Salon East Wooster Street.

Changing Times and The Tanning Center reported a surge in business due to spring break preparation, while Campus Tanning has not seen an increase in new customers.

“We have definitely seen an increase in the amount of business at our salon due to students going on spring break,” Elisha Hess, a Changing Times employee, said.

Getting a golden tan is important enough for many students to spend their money. Campus Tanning costs $4 per session or $30 for an unlimited -monthly pass. The Tanning Center offers 10 sessions for $25 and a one-month tanning pass for $35. Changing Times offers several options: five sessions for $18, 10 sessions for $28, 15 sessions for $36 and one month of unlimited use for $38.

Students choose to use tanning salons for various reasons. Some tan to improve their appearance; they want to look good in their bathing suits for the beach.

Also, salons along with students interviewed agree that tanning before arriving in the warmer climates helps prevent sunburns.

“I am going to tanning so I do not get burnt like I did last year on spring break.” Amanda Little, a University junior, said. “It’s awful!”

Even the male population of campus is participating in this stereotypically female ritual.

“I go to a tanning salon to get dark because I do not want to look pasty. Also, when I am at home working outside it keeps me from getting a farmer’s tan,” Nathan Melvin, freshman, said. Some students may stay away from salons due to reports tanning related cancer.

However, the Indoor Tanning Association is funding a study by the Boston University School of Medicine to conduct studies showing the health benefits of using tanning facilities. The study will show the difference in vitamin D levels in blood of people who tan versus those who do not.

Healthy levels of vitamin D has been shown to prevent breast, prostate, colon and ovarian cancer.

For students who are worried about the negative effects of tanning, Serenity Spa ‘ Tanning, located at 1616 E. Wooster Street, offers natural-looking tan without the toxins.

In December, Serenity Spa ‘ Tanning introduced Sunless Express tanning to Bowling Green. Sunless Express uses a solution of aloe, moisturizers, bronzers and dyhydroacetone (DHA) to darken the skin.

Sunless Express tanning is similar to the cosmetic sunless-tanning creams. The Sunless Express tan costs $25 per session and the color lasts approximately 10 days.

Regardless of cost and negative statistics University students will continue heading to tanning salons to get the golden brown skin they desire in order to make this spring break the best yet.