Forensics team second in state

The University Forensics and Debate Program recently won second place at the Ohio Forensics Association Novice State Championships.

Hosted by Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio,it took place on the weekend on Jan. 30 and lasted through Feb. 1.

It is designed for novice students who are currently involved in their first full year of participation in forensics or debate activities. All institutions in Ohio who have forensics programs are encouraged to attend, regardless of size or status.

Of the University’s 15 members, 11 won individual awards and their way into a final round. Also, each participant placed in at least one of their events in the final round, which won them state awards.

As a team the University won three of 10 forensics categories. The debate program earned a team sweepstakes award as well as a trithon award.

Students who placed in the competition are: senior Kristi Ellis (first in poetry), freshman Leah D’Emilio (third in Impromptu speaking), junior Abby Bollenbacher (third in programed Oral interpretation), and freshman Jason Lych (first in Impromptu speaking and after dinner speaking).

“I love the opportunities to perform and to watch other people perform from all different colleges. The atmosphere is fun, exciting, and always interesting. Our team here at BGSU is a great program to be involved with–the people are great and we all support each other 110%,” said Leah D’Emilio.

The points that the novice team earned will be combined with those earned in an up coming competition, the Ohio Forensics Association Varsity State

Championships determine the state rankings and team championship awards. The team is currently ranked fourth from last year. This was the first time the team placed in the top four since the mid 1980’s.

Forensics is provided through the Department of Theater. It is open to all undergraduate students. The activity offers intercollegiate competition in public speaking, oral interpretation and debate events. The program annually competes against institutions of all levels, from private colleges to large public universities.

“The important thing for people to start realizing is that forensics also means speech and debate, not just dead bodies and science. The team has grown in success in the past few years and we are making a very positive name for BGSU,” said member Abby Bollenbacher.

The team will be back in action this weekend at the Ohio Forensics Association State Championships, which will be hosted by the Ohio State University. It will determine state rankings for forensics and debate teams of all levels in the state. “We are looking to improve out-ranking into the top three this year,” said Paul Wesley Alday, the Director of Forensics and Debate program.

After the state championship they plan to take break for a month before competing in national tournaments at the end of March or early April.

Alday went on to say, “We have an exciting and thriving Forensics and Debate Program and are always seeking motivated students who wish to develop their communication, critical thinking and performance abilities.”

Any Bowling Green undergraduate student is encouraged to audition for their Forensics Grant-in-Aid Scholarships. Materials for this may be picked up in the Department of Theater Office on the third floor of South Hall.