Get a start on holiday shopping

University alumni and friends can beat the holiday shopping frenzy tomorrow as they travel to Frankenmuth and Birch Run, Mich., for the seventh annual “Shop ’til You Drop” bus trip.

Alumni and friends in the Greater Toledo Area will depart from the Bowling Green Meijer parking lot at 8:30 a.m. and from the Maumee Meijer parking lot at 9 a.m. on a 50 passenger Greyhound bus for their shopping excursion.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to get to know BGSU alumni in the greater Toledo area,” Kam Walter, associate director of Alumni Affairs, said. Walter said there are still seats available for the seven-hour trip.

“[The shopping trip] really gives you a jump start on the season. Christmas is right around the corner,” Walter said.

Shoppers will stop at Frankenmuth, Mich., at Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, the world’s largest Christmas store.

Bronner’s is open 361 days a year and features over 50,000 Christmas decorations and gifts. Over 2 million people including 2,000 tourist groups visit Bronner’s each year.

Alumni and friends will also get the chance to visit Frankenmuth’s downtown which has dozens of shops offering everything from homemade fudge and candy, to clothing and toys.

Shoppers will then depart Frankenmuth and travel south to the Prime Outlets at Birch Run for more holiday shopping. The outlet includes stores such as the Nike Factory Store, the Gap, Casual Corner and the Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store.

“[Birch Run’s] a wonderful place to shop and passengers will be able to store their packages under the Greyhound bus,” Andy Householder, the trip’s organizational leader and 1955 alumnus said. Householder said it seems like there are a million stores at the Prime Outlets of Birch Run.

Carla Blinn, resident and participant, said she loves all of the little shops that Frankenmuth has to offer and the trip will provide her with a great way to get her holiday shopping done.

Editor’s Note: To sign up for the trip or for more information, contact Andy Householder at (419) 352-0304.