Despite sluggish start, BG beats Urbana behind Lewis

For the first ten minutes of Friday night’s game, it appeared as if though Urbana’s basketball team was on its way to a convincing win over Bowling Green.

Unfortunately for Urbana, a college game lasts 40 minutes. The Falcons struggled early, committing costly errors and allowing Urbana to look like a highly skilled division one college team. The Falcons would eventually catch on to Urbana’s tricks and take a 36-35 lead with 4:47 in the first half that they would not relinquish. The lead would grow to as large as 25 as the Falcons would put on an offensive show en route to a 103-78 victory.

Head coach Dan Dakich is quite sure he can put his finger on the Falcons’ problems early on.

“I thought our defense was just ridiculous,” he said. “I didn’t think we guarded at all.”

The Falcons would see three of their players score in double figures as Ron Lewis led the team with 34 points and was accompanied in the double digit scoring column by John Reimold and Josh Almanson, who had 22 and 18 points, respectively.

Lewis was the star of the game. He had four rebounds, four assists and two blocks to go with his team-high in points. He also showed a highlight reel of plays with two showtime dunks to go with a couple of out of this world blocks.

“I knew I had to step up and score,” Lewis said. “I had to be the person to score and I had to get the team the ball as well.”

Even with those numbers, Dakich felt there was another player that was the difference maker in the Falcons’ victory.

“Matt Lefeld was the player of the game,” he said. “I’m not sure I’ve seen a more ridiculous display of interior defense, but Matt solidified the inside.”

Lefeld, a 6-11 center in his first game with the Falcons, was a force inside defensively finishing with eight points and a block. Dakich summed up the disappointing victory over a small school like Urbana fairly simply.

“They deserved to win the game,” he said. “We just had more talent.”