International Fair improved for this year

Visitors to the Bowen-Thompson Student Union this weekend will have the opportunity to explore many different countries and cultures.

The World Student Association is sponsoring an International Fair on the first floor of the Union from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. “The main purpose of the International Fair is to educate visiting families and students about different cultures,” said World Student Association graduate advisor Katie Baxter.

Booths featuring items from different cultures will be displayed throughout the Ballroom in an attempt to provide a fun and educational atmosphere.

The World Student Association will have three booths at the event. Groups participating include the India Student Association, Chinese Students and Scholars, Spanish Club, French Club and the Russian Club.

A few international students from Bulgaria and Nepal will also set up displays independently.

At the fair, some students will dress in traditional clothing from the country they are representing.

Flags, jewelry and musical instruments may also be on display, Baxter said. Select booths may also have food, videos, artwork and music.

“Items displayed are cultural items– symbols of tradition and religion,” Baxter said.

The Latin rock band, La Revancha, will perform in the Falcon’s Nest during the event. Visitors to the International Fair will receive programs designed as passports which can be stamped at each country’s booth. This feature should engage even the youngest of visitors during Family Weekend, according to Baxter.

“This is great especially for younger brothers and sisters,” she said.

There will also be a trivia game, face painting and balloon animals.

Members of the India Student Association will also offer henna tattoos.

In addition, visitors can have their pictures taken in a photo booth with students dressed in traditional clothing.

Allison Greber, president of the World Student Association, said she enjoyed seeing how much fun everyone had at the International Fair last year.

“It’s an opportunity to learn about cultures from the majority of continents, and to learn in a fun way,” Greber said.

Due to the success of last year’s event, this year’s fair will be extended two hours longer and was able to get more groups to participate.