BG faces off against No. 7 OSU

The BGSU hockey team will try to extend their winning streak when they travel to Value City Arena in Columbus tonight and tomorrow night to face the No. 7 Ohio State Buckeyes.

The Falcons swept Northern Michigan at home last weekend for their first series sweep since March of 2001. The wins came after a six-game winless streak and may provide some momentum and added confidence going into the Ohio State games.

Ohio State is currently No. 2 in the CCHA standings with an overall record of 15-4-2. The Falcons (5-13-2) will have a chance to snap OSU’s eight-game win streak. Ohio State is 10-1-0 at Value City Arena this season, losing only to Cornell.

The Buckeyes have outscored their last three opponents 9-1. “It’s going to be a tough match-up. They’ve had an excellent first half and they’ve got a few really top-notch players,” BG forward D’Arcy McConvey said. “It’s always tough to go on the road and win but now is as good a time to do it as any. It will be tough but it’s going to be a good challenge.”

Part of the reason for OSU’s success this season is their front line of R.J. Umberger, Ryan Kesler, and Scott May. Defenses have had trouble containing the Buckeyes’ offensive threats throughout the season.

BG head coach Scott Paluch and McConvey stressed the importance of keeping control of the puck and avoiding turnovers in the neutral zone. Ohio State has capitalized on opportunities created by turnovers in the neutral zone throughout the season. “Their top line of R.J. Umberger, Ryan Kesler, and Scott May is as good a line as there is in our league,” Paluch said. “One of the focuses of our team for the last two weeks has been our defensive play through the neutral zone and down low. We need to be real solid defensively through the neutral zone but that also means that we can’t turn the puck over in the neutral zone.”

Ohio State’s front line is not the only part of their team that has caused problems for opponents this season. Their offensive depth and scoring ability is apparent in their other lines as well. Bowling Green’s main concern is with Umberger. Paluch said that there will be attempts to create a match-up with Umberger and BG defenseman, Kevin Bieksa.

“What Umberger is able to present in terms of problems is he’s not only a real skilled kid,” Paluch said. “He’s big and strong and moves well. He creates a one-on-one match-up that makes him hard to handle.”

“For a guy like Umberger who is such a premier player, we’ll just keep our eye on him all the time,” McConvey said. “We need to know when he’s out there and just be tough on him. Be on him all the time and just shut him down.”

Bowling Green has had some success against ranked teams this season. When Michigan played at the BGSU Ice Arena in November, they were ranked No. 6 in the country. BG lost the first game 6-4, but played to a 1-1 tie in the second game. When the Falcons played then No. 6 Boston College on Dec. 27, they lost 6-5, but were able to jump out to an early 3-0 lead against the Eagles.

Bowling Green’s confidence in their ability to play with and possibly defeat one of the country’s top teams may have risen after the sweep against Northern Michigan. After their six-game winless streak, Bowling Green was able to work through their problems and start winning again. McConvey said that after this week of practice the Falcons are ready to get back on the ice again.

“The important thing that came out of last weekend was obviously the four points when you look at it from a standings and a performance standpoint, but the ability to make plays down the stretch against a very good hockey team and doing what was necessary to win,” Paluch said.

“Coming back from 3-1, we had a lot of good offensive plays to give us the lead and really a lot of good defensive plays to keep the puck out of danger late in the game. The confidence gained from making those plays down the stretch is something that I think is really going to pay dividends.”

The face-offs are scheduled for 7:05 tonight and tomorrow night.