Clinic brings high schoolers to U.

Nearly 500 high school music students and band directors will travel to the University today for the annual New Band Music Reading Clinic. The clinic, in its 45th year, gives high school musicians and band directors a chance to perform at the University as well as the opportunity to hear new band music.

“The clinic has a wonderful tradition and offers both band directors and students a chance to play ‘new’ and old music in a fresh setting, a chance to share both musical and non-musical ideas, and a chance to hear some fine bands,” Dr. Larry Blocher, director of bands at Wichita State University, said.

Dr. Blocher will serve as a guest conductor at this year’s clinic.

“Every year there is a great and positive energy in the hallways of the Moore Musical Arts Center during this event,” Russell Schmidt, associate professor of jazz studies at the University, said. Not only will the student participants benefit from the clinic – the high school band directors will also be able to broaden their musical horizons. This is part of the reason why Schmidt, serving as a clinician for the event, decided to become involved with the program.

“By participating in the New Band Music Reading Clinic, I can offer my expertise in this area (jazz music) to those music directors that are interested in learning more about teaching jazz,” Schmidt said.

During the clinic, 169 students will perform in the Honor Concert Band and the Honor Wind Ensemble. These students have been recognized as especially talented musicians by high school band directors from around the state.

The concerts featuring the clinic participants will be free and open to the public. Concerts will be held in Kobacker Hall at the Moore Musical Arts Center.

The New Band Music Reading Clinic begins today and will run through Saturday at the College of Musical Arts. Rettig Music, Inc. of Defiance is sponsoring the event.

Participating high schools include Sandusky High School, Libertyville High School, Vernon Hills High School, Fremont Ross High School and Newark High School.