Dance Marathon Deadline Shortens

With the countdown set at 63 days, and volunteers are still needed to make Dance Marathon 2003 a success. Some changes are planned for this year’s event, which is held in the student recreation center.

“Dance Marathon keeps getting bigger each year,” Brant Pumpa said. Brant is the Assistant Director of Internal for Dance Marathon.

Another change will be the closing ceremony. “We like to make each closing ceremony a little different,” Pumpa said.

This year’s event also hopes to provide more involvement with the families of the children.

Families of the Miracle Network children are invited to come to Dance Marathon and be with students.

Organizations are invited to go on hospital tours where they may meet some of the families.

“It might be nice to see the families more; they’re the reason we’re doing the whole thing,” Gamma Phi Beta Sarah Loge said. Loge is a dance group representative (DGR).

Organizations are also paired with a family with whom they can spend time.

Dance Marathon began as a fund raising effort to help terminally ill children in the region. It is through the Children’s Miracle Network.

The first Dance Marathons at the University were run by Greek philanthropies. The event then turned campus-wide. The idea behind this was to bring the University together as a whole. Over one thousand volunteers, dancers, and moralers have come together to make the event work.

“There are never too many people,” Pumpa said. People are needed both before and during the event he said. Senior Michelle Ruhlin has actively put herself into Dance

Marathon. She is a DGR for the Public Relations Society of America, PRSSA.

“You get to know the people in the organization and help kids who need help,” Ruhlin said.

Ruhlin became involved with the event because she thought it was a good chance to do a service activity.

Some people are not as able to be involved, but are encouraged to donate money by Dance Marathon organizers.

“If I did get involved, I would be a dancer, but I don’t have the time on the weekends,” junior Emily Heinsen said, “I would be more than happy to donate”.

The proceeds go to Children’s Miracle Network at St. Vincents Hospital in Toledo. Funds raised by the University through Dance Marathon stay local.

One thing at Dance Marathon will remain the same. The event will still be 32 hours; and Pumpa said that will never change.

This year’s Dance Marathon will be held March 22 and 23.

Pumpa said students wishing to get involved with Dance Marathon should contact the Dance Marathon office. Students should leave a message saying they want to get involved and the office will get them the information.