Connection looks to repeat success

The once popular student organization, Off-Campus Connection, is trying to regain its popularity with the help of the Office of Campus Involvement.

The Off-Campus Connection has been dormant for several years creating a lack of social opportunities for students who do not live on campus. Gordy Heminger, Interim Coordinator of Student Organization Services, has been influential in the rebirth of the organization.

For many years the Off-Campus Connection served as a voice for many students who do not receive the same social benefits as students living in residence halls.

“I think that the previous organization was very successful for a long period of time. I would like to replicate that success,” Heminger said.

Heminger believes that the organization will have several benefits for students who live off-campus.

“The Off-Campus Connection will provide students living off-campus the opportunity to meet people, provide social opportunities in between classes, after classes, along with giving individuals the opportunity organization,” Heminger said. “I see this organization as a great way for first-year students and transfer students who live off-campus to get involved at BGSU, although I think there will be something for every off-campus student in this organization.”

Heminger would like to see the group be a viable and active voice on campus. A group where students who live off-campus feel welcome and want to be a part of the group. He would like the students who will be starting this group to set their own goals, to have their own experience.

“My goal is that the experience be a positive one for all the students,” he said.

There are some aspects of the group which Heminger believes could be different. He would like to see a greater diversity among the membership.

“Students think that they have to live in Toledo to be able to belong to this organization, but in reality all they have to do is live off-campus. That might be in Toledo or it could be in an apartment in town,” Heminger said.

He would also like to see the group do a better job of assessing the interests of students who live off-campus. Once there is a core group of interested individuals the group will be elections.

“This is a great opportunity for students to get involved and have an immediate impact. There are many skills that can be gained by starting a new organization that is open to thousands of students.”

While the Office of Campus Involvement has tried to promote the organization with flyers around campus, yesterday in the Union there were few students who knew anything about the organization. After surveying several students on their thoughts about the organization there were none who had even heard of the Off-Campus Connection.

Megan Walsh, sophomore, currently lives off campus but had heard no news about the new organization which would cater to the demographic of students who live outside of the University. “Yeah, I’d definitely be interested,” said Walsh.

Several other students echoed her in saying that they too would be interested if they had more information or if there was more publicity.

There will be a series of informational sessions to be held in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union about the Off-Campus Connection. Sessions will be held today at noon, Tuesday at 9 a.m., and Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.