DM ’04: Less raised, same joy for participants

As Dance Marathon 2004 came to an end and the total amount of money raised was announced, it was apparent the total was less than last year.

This year $150,316.81 in cash was raised compared to the $322,159,40 last year.

But the numbers need to be defined.

Last year the grand total included donations other than cash or “non-monetary” items. For example in the past Pepsi donated $5,000 in products. These types of donations have previously been added into the grand total.

According to steering committee members last year’s total would have been approximately $245,000 if the “non-monetary” items had been excluded.

Throughout the fund raising process this year, the finance committee has handled things differently.

This included the way they presented the grand total.

They also decided not to announce their progress or totals until the end of the marathon. And finally they put less emphasis on the amount raised, and more emphasis on the cause, according to steering committee members.

In a past article by The BG News, Jen Ellerman, public relations for DM said, “This year the focus is directed more towards the kids so that people don’t lose sight and remember that they are most important right now.”

Closing ceremonies continued to reinforce the importance of the kids. Emotions poured out of the exhausted participants as the final hour ticked by at the student rec center.

A wave of joy swept over the audience as everyone completed the final line dance and balloons fell over the hundreds of spectators and participants.

“Right now I’m pretty pumped because a lot of the final closing stuff, the line dancing one more time, but my feet are tired,” moral captain Mali Bell said.

After it was officially over every one stayed around to congratulate each other, share hugs and reflect on the experience.

“I’m not really as tired as I thought I would be,” said dancer Nicole Grimm, “I’m glad it’s over in a way, this is my last year so I’m kind of sad.”

“It is so mind boggling, being up this whole time, when you want to go back for a nap you really think of what you are doing it for and supporting the dancers was nice too,” said moraler Marissa Rodrigez.

As the steering committee reflected on DM 2004 they reached their goal of total focus on the children that they were helping, rather than the amount of money raised.

“This is probably the most successful Dance Marathon that we have ever had because everyone’s focus was 100 percent on the children, and that is what we have been going for…”said Jared Wright, assistant director of internal steering committee. “It is not about the money.”