Hate speech needs to be stopped now

Every Thursday in my English 112 class, we do a synthesis exercise on a chosen topic in order to strengthen our writing and ideas. The topic this past Thursday was same sex marriage —- a very sensitive topic for many people.

After I read my synthesis the instructor chose a student to share her ideas. The student expressed her opposition to same sex marriage using the bible as her explanation.

Although I disagree with her opinion, I realize she should be able to express her opinion and so should anyone else. The part that outraged me was when she said people who condone this behavior, as well as the faggots and lesbians, are sick.

I was absolutely shocked that someone would be this insensitive by using hate speech, especially in class where it is forbidden by University policy. The student was not reprimanded by the instructor, which shocked me even more.

I started to wonder what would have happened if someone used different hate speech such as nigger or chink. Any hate speech should be immediately addressed as it is extremely unnecessary, offensive and threatening.

Hate speech breeds hatred towards specific groups of people. By not addressing this language, people are saying it is OK. Instructors especially should pay attention to this in the classroom since they are the authority in class and will most likely be taken more seriously.

Nobody should feel threatened, uncomfortable and offended because of someone’s ignorance and insensitivity. It is very unfortunate that this type of language is still being used and it needs to be stopped.

This type of language causes fights between individuals and groups, makes people feel uncomfortable and threatened and shows an inability to accept others.

When you hear people using hate speech, tell them why it is not tolerated. There is still a lot of work to be done and educating people is a great place to start. Stop the hatred.

Heather Perne

STUDENT