David’s House and COMPASS merge

David’s House Compassion recently announced that it has entered into management assistance with Compass Corporation for Recovery Services. The agreement became effective April 16.

David’s House provides a variety of services to over 1,400 people living with HIV in Northwest Ohio. The Toledo based agency serves Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Defiance, Sandusky, Williams, Fulton and Henry Counties. David’s House has been experiencing funding difficulties and were planning on closing their doors at the beginning of April, but with help from COMPASS they will continue to provide assistance.

“CCRS had a good offer, and we were looking for a partner with whom we share similar mission, vision, and goals,” said Heather Strombaugh, Executive Director of David’s House. “We’ve found that in CCRS.”

Because of the financial situation, David’s house had laid off eight employees and with the merger Strombaugh hopes that they will be hired back. COMPASS will also be providing management assistance over the next 90 days. This will include financial oversight, accountability and human resource assistance.

Even though management of David’s House will see changes, the services that they provide will remain the same. They will continue to function as their own entity. Their volunteers will continue to work with the same clients within David’s House.

“The agreement will have no effect on the quality or quantity of services received by our clients,” said Strombaugh.

“They are supportive of our services, funding sources, personnel, and clients continuing to work with an agency called ‘David’s House Compassion’, and for that we could not be more appreciative of the staff and Board of COMPASS,” said Leisa Leininger, David’s House Board President Elect.

Through the negotiations, proposals were forwarded to the board of Directors at David’s House. They met on April 15 and approved the agreement to move forward in an exploratory phase with Compass.

Both David’s House and COMPASS showed enthusiasm for the agreement.

“David’s House is excited about the opportunity to partner with an agency like COMPASS where our missions seem to integrate well and we can continue to offer much needed services to the community,” said Leininger. “We are especially happy about this opportunity because COMPASS understands the value of the ‘David’s House’ name- they are very interested in assisting us in remaining a viable entity in the community.”

“Health care is a vital issue in our community and CCRS has a successful track record in helping people with difficult substance abuse issues. I am confident that with out support DHC will be able to continue to meet the needs of individuals who depend on them for services,” said William Sanford, President and CEO of CCRS.