First place becomes trend for Jam winner

Last night, the Creative Minds Movement hosted their second poetry slam contest. With ten competitors, three rounds and one victor, the night was a poetic success.

Between the hours of 8-10 p.m., room 101 of Olscamp Hall was full of angry, humorous and passionate words.

“It’s all about free expression,” said Danyel Clark, Vice President of the Creative Minds Movement. This is CMM’s first year as a student organization and their second poetry slam.

The contestants were responsible for writing their own poems. Five judges based the competition on stage presence, consistency, audience response, pronunciation and feedback. Each poem could be no longer than three minutes.

The professional poet, Shihan, made a guest appearance last night and provided the audience with several of his own poems. He said, “Poetry slams are basically egos at war for scores, it’s not how well you can write, but it’s how you perform.”

The returning champion from the poetry slam in 2003, Marie Nicole Zanders, regained her victory last night. Zanders, 29, from Toledo, Ohio, was very modest about her success.

The Creative Minds Movement receives help and support from other organizations. Contributing to their success last night was the Ethnic Studies Department, Africana Studies and Delta Sigma Beta.

Every contestant was awarded with a warm round of applause and appreciation from the audience for gathering the courage to recite their feelings on stage.