Art students receive

During my first year here on campus, I, as many other students, have visited the Union. On one of my visits I noticed the Art Department’s Senior Thesis Exhibition. Partly because the art is so amazing and partly because of a nudge from my editor, I decided to investigate the matter further.

The Senior Thesis Exhibition is when graduating seniors with a bachelors in fine arts get to show off their best work.

“The students submit a few pieces that are representative of their best work of their four years in school” said gallery director Jacqueline Nathan. “The submitted pieces are then judged by a faculty jury who will decide which pieces are accepted into the exhibition.”

The students also write an artist statement that is placed next to their particular display.

However, don’t be fooled like I was. The display is only a small sample of the student’s work.

The faculty jury also decides which pieces will represent the work as a whole and be placed on display in the Union to attract the interest of passers-by.

Students can visit the Dorothy Uber Bryan and Willard Wankelman Galleries in the Fine Arts Building to view displays by artists such as graphic designer Nick Pietravoia.

The art itself is truly awe- inspiring. There is a wide variety of exhibits in the display which includes pictures and sculptures as well as paintings.

Each artist has more than one part to their exhibit so the viewer can capture the various visions created by the artists.

“It takes us a long time to put together,” Nathan said, “we’re very proud of it.”

An artist can also receive awards for their work.

A few of the awards include the Block-Heskett award, the Labino Art and Technology award, and the Bowen-Thompson Student Union Purchase award. They are valued from a $75 gift certificate awarded to Kara Daving to the $900 paid to Robin Shafer by the Student Union.

In addition to the awards, some students have also elected to put their art work up for sale. “It is entirely the student’s choice to put something up for sale or not” says Nathan.

The Senior Thesis Exhibition is definitely something to see. I was honestly impressed when I saw some of the art work up on display. The photographs really make you think and the paintings are visually captivating.

Ending on April 7, the Senior Thesis Exhibition will make room for those artists receiving their masters in fine arts, in the MFA Thesis Exhibition.

If you get a chance, go over to the Fine Arts Building and check it out. It’s something no one should miss.