November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Tough teams await Falcons

After a strong performance at last weekend’s Bluffton Relays, the BG women’s track team leaves the Midwest to compete in the University of Tennessee Sea Ray Relays. The meet begins today and will run through Saturday.

Unlike the Bluffton Relays, where the Falcons faced mostly division II and NAIA affiliated schools, the competition in Knoxville will be of a higher caliber. Most of the squad competed in Saturday’s meet, whereas only 14 to 16 athletes will be competing for BG this week, due to higher qualifying standards. Although the entire team will not be competing, the meet will still be a positive experience for all team members involved.

“We’ll be facing very national class caliber schools. This meet has standards to get in and some of our athletes won’t be able to compete, but it’s good for them to see that level competition,” head coach Scott Sehmann said.

With little time to practice before heading south, the Falcons cannot take this meet lightly if they hope to succeed.

“We’ll have to come prepared to be at our best if we want to be competitive,” Sehmann said.

While the team is always shooting to improve their times, this meet may be an opportunity for establishing one or more new relay records. Sehmann has confidence in his athletes and is expecting to see new records within the outdoor season and possibly within the week.

“We’re knocking on the door of a school record in the 4 x 100 meter relay. I think we could do it this weekend if we get our exchanges. We certainly have the personnel,” Sehmann said.

Sehmann also noted that the 4 x 200 meter team could also challenge the school record this season.

The meet begins today at 4 p.m. and will continue though Saturday evening, concluding with the 4 x 400 meter relay.