Say hello to my humble opinion

If you’re reading this, it means that you’re attending good old BGSU this summer — when the weather is hot, the books cost as much even though you use them less and, well, something is missing, isn’t it?

Hmm … what could it be?

Oh yeah, other people!

Truth be told, I’ve never attended classes at BGSU in the summer before, so I’m not sure how it’s going to be. I imagine there will be fewer people when everyone spreads to the four winds after finishing up in the spring or maybe even graduating.

But really, it’s not so bad. You can use this time at the University in the summer to do some very important things.

Take a few minutes out of your three-hour classes to get to know your professor a little better. He or she might remember it come exam time.

The bars aren’t crowded; get to know your bartender too, because really, in Bowling Green, who is more important than someone who can give you booze for free?

You should go for a walk too, now that there aren’t hundreds of college-kid driven cars zooming down the streets blasting that annoying “Tipsy” song.

Maybe you could even adopt a squirrel. If not, you should at least be nice to them. After all, they do outnumber the people here this time of the year.

Regardless of what you do, all of you should feel proud of yourselves for giving up a few weeks in the summer to attend classes and improve yourselves. Good for you! If, like me, you’re eager to graduate so you can get out of Bowling Green and go, well, somewhere, then summer classes are a great chance to get ahead. You should be commended. Blue ribbons for everyone.

As I said before, I’ve never gone to summer classes before. In fact, there are many things at the University that are mysteries to me.

For instance, I’ve never had the pleasure of living in a dorm. Other than the Union, I’ve never had the opportunity to eat food at any of the fine dining establishments that campus has to offer.

There’s the library; it’s nine floors tall, but I’ve only been on just one of the floors. Who knows what all of those other floors have to offer. In fact, there are whole buildings I haven’t even been in.

So then, you might be asking, “Why should we read the opinion of someone who doesn’t even know much about this school?” Well, that’s a good question.

The main thing I think I have to offer you, the reader, is a different perspective.

First of all, I’m almost 24 years old. In a perfect world, I would have graduated about two years ago. I know 24 doesn’t seem that old, but compared to an 18-year-old just out of high school, it’s a world of difference.

Secondly, I’ve been married to my lovely wife Erin for more than a year. If getting married does one thing, it drastically changes how you view a lot of things.

Lastly, I’m a veteran. Around this time last year I was enjoying the lovely climes of Iraq as a member of the United States Marine Corps Reserve. While perhaps surprisingly, this last quirk hasn’t had as much of an effect as aging and getting married, it is a quirk nonetheless, and is definitely something that has mangled my perceptions about life somewhat.

I’m going to take great pains not to get embroiled in the whole liberal vs. conservative and Christian vs. atheist banter that opinion columns seem to attract.

In fact, I will make this promise: this sentence will be the only time, through summer and fall, that I will include the words “Bush Administration” in my column.

So that’s what I’ve got on the table. I promise to write about myself at some length here and in the future. And the last thing I would do is try to claim that I know everything. I’m not Jim Morrison or Socrates, so yes, there are concepts and ideas foreign even to me.

But one thing that I am going to do is try to write about things that I feel are important to me, and might be important to you, and hopefully we can both learn a little.

Because really, isn’t that what college is about? Well, except for the weekends, which here at the University start on Wednesday afternoon and end on Monday morning.

Anyway, I hope you’re reading this and not sweating too much. I hope you’re reading this and enjoying the lovely summer breeze.

Maybe you’re hanging out with friends and drinking some lemonade. Whatever you’ve got going on, you’re doing a good job by just being here.

Only the heroes are left now.

Shaun can be insulted or coddled by e-mailing him at sahayes@ bgnet.bgsu.edu.