Field events push Falcons

After traveling to Oxford, Ohio for the 2004 Outdoor MAC Track and Field Championships, the Bowling Green State University women’s track team ran away with a seventh place finish and a total of 40 points for the three-day event from May 13-15.

BGSU Senior Kerri McClung stole the spotlight for the Falcons, breaking a 10 year old BGSU record in the shot put with a 50-02 finish. She finished third in the overall shot put event, breaking the previous record of 50-01.75 set by Nikki Lessig back in 1994.

McClung also finished seventh in the hammer throw with mark of 160-01, which was also a season best.

But is was Liz Honegger who decided to destroy her competition in the women’s discuss throw, winning the event with a score of 148-05, which was almost six feet farther than second place finisher, Breann Smith from Kent State.

In the 200 meter dash, it was Patrice Beasley from Eastern Michigan who received first place with a time of 24.15, but not far behind was BGSU senior Alicia Taylor who finished in fourth place with a time of 24.72.

The Falcons also received five points from senior Amber Culp and four points from freshman Erica Wilson. Culp finished fourth in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a time of 10:50.40, while Wilson finished with a distance of 18-10.75 in the long jump.

Also, BGSU junior Melissa Krueger broke her own personal best time in the 1500 meter run, with an eighth place time of 4:35.26, while freshman Andrean Bunko threw a personal best 141-08 and placed fifth in the javelin throw.

Last season the Falcons finished in tenth place in the 2003 MAC Championships.