WFAL brings Koufax for charity

Nationally known band, Koufax will be performing this weekend as a part of WFAL’s benefit concert to help raise money to pay for a young boy’s medical expenses.

Shuttlecock and Your Black Star will be opening for the headlining band Koufax at Howard’s Club H on Friday night.

The show will begin at 10 p.m. Admission is $5.

The money raised though the event will assist Nollan Keller’s family with medical expenses. Two-year- old Keller was diagnosed with Aagilles Syndrome when he was born. Last February Keller had a liver transplant which left the family with extensive medical bills. Expenses have also included post-transplant care.

The family approached WFAL in November 2002, and the station has been helping to raise money ever since.

“It’s a great cause,” said University student Joanna Hammer, who has been working with the family for over a year. “We started doing benefits to ease the stress financially.”

WFAL sponsored a similar event last spring and raised $500, charging $2 and $3 admission.

Hammer said that by bringing in the well known Koufax who is associated with Vagrant Records, they hope to draw a larger crowd. Two of the bands, Koufax and Shuttlecock are originally from Bowling Green. Your Black Star is from Kentucky.

Last April they also sponsored a concert at Headliners. Also, over the summer the station organized a fund-raising car wash and provided music at a bowling event organized by the Keller family. Events like these are all apart of WFAL’s goal to help out the community and provide entertainment for students, according to Kelly Fink, general manager of the station.

“It’s kind of like combining the two things that we like to do here, provide listeners with something to do and help out the community,” said Fink.

Since the transplant, Hammer said that Keller is doing well She has had numerous interactions with the family and described Keller as full of energy even after such a major operation.

She encouraged all students to attend the concert and show their support for Keller’s family.

“We can do something with music and show that college students do care,” Hammer said.

Editor’s Note: Koufax will be performing at 11 p.m. tonight at Howard’s Club H.