Campus events kick off

International Education Week events started yesterday and will continue through Thursday to give students the opportunity to learn about study abroad programs and educate international students on ways to get jobs in the United States.

This week is recognized as International Education Week throughout the United States, and a variety of activities were pulled together to celebrate the week at the University, said Sally Raymont, Director of Education Abroad.

“We want to educate people about study abroad opportunities, allow students to learn more about them and how to do it,” Raymont said.

Associate Professor of Art History Rebecca Green will present a lecture about the funeral traditions of Madagascar in room 202B of the Union starting at 12:30 p.m. today.

The lecture will be based on the information Green has acquired though her research of the art of Madagascar.

Madagascar is a part of the world that very few people are familiar with, Green said.

“Learning about cultures and other ways of doing things is very important,” she said. “I hope students become interested in another culture or place in the world and their curiosity is piqued so they’ll become interested in exploring some place themselves.”

A workshop on job searching for international students sponsored by the Career Center will be held on Thursday in room 315 in the Union from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

The workshop is open to all international students and will provide them with a better understanding of how to stay in the U.S. and work here.

The workshop will illustrate the process of going from an international student to becoming an employee in the U.S., said Celeste Robertson, Assistant Director of the Career Center.

“We want the international students to understand their rights and privileges and the changes in the visa process,” Robertson said.

Robertson, who has had 20 years of experience living and working abroad, and two experienced immigration lawyers will be at the workshop to assist students.

“We hope to shed some light on the processes to students,” Robertson said.

The activities of the week are meant to broaden students perspective on the world and get them to look beyond the boundaries of the U.S., Raymont said.

“Now is the time that our young people need to learn what is outside the U.S.,” she said. “I think most people look at their lives through tunnel vision. We need to see beyond borders to see how important it is for all of the world and the U.S. to get along.”