Participate, donate for Blood Bowl

Want to beat Toledo? Want to help save a life at the same time?

Give blood.

The Blood Bowl is a friendly competition between us and the University of Toledo. Whichever university donates more pints of blood is awarded a trophy during the annual football game on Nov. 23.

The past two years of Blood Bowl competition have resulted in BGSU victories.

This year, in the third year of existence, the competition will be much fiercer, as Toledo most likely wants to win at least once.

In this case, competition helps everyone.

The Red Cross constantly asks volunteers to donate blood. Hats off to their hard work. However, their work will be for naught if the students of BG — and Toledo — choose not to participate.

Granted, there are several restrictions that will prevent people from donating, such as those who recently had tattoos or piercings done. People should not donate if they are not feeling well. They also can’t give if they have contracted a sexually- transmitted disease.

Isn’t it ironic that BG, dubbed the STD capital of Ohio, has beaten Toledo both times previously?

If you are in good health, there is no reason for you to avoid this opportunity.

The Red Cross staff is well-trained in not only ensuring a safe procedure but will also reassure donors that there is no need to worry about the process.

Donors will receive a free T-shirt. They will also be fed for free. If that’s not enough incentive, then they will have the satisfaction of donating a rare substance that will help save a life.

The blood you give? Your body will regenerate that, by the way.

For those on the fence on donating blood, the BG News urges those individuals to head down to the Multipurpose room in the Union today sometime between 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.

The goals set by the Red Cross and both universities cannot be met without your help.

For more information on donating guidelines, visit www.redcross.org and click on the link “Give Blood.”