Falcons may get a shot at Ohio St.

I’ve been curious about something this past year. I know for a fact that I’m not the only one upset about our 24-17 loss to the Ohio State Buckeyes, who at the time were coming off a national championship the previous season. On top of that, I’m also quite sure there are others like me who think they could have easily won that game. Only one question remains. Would anyone like to see them face off again?

I know I would, and I’m sure most of the students on this campus would as well, even if their passion for football isn’t quite as strong as my own.

Well, for all of you that have been silently hoping for a matchup between the Falcons and Buckeyes before the next scheduled game in 2010, sweet revenge could actually happen as soon as this December!

In case you don’t remember, the Falcons won the Motor City Bowl last year in Detroit by defeating the Northwestern Wildcats, 28-24. They have a chance to get there again should they win the MAC West (Anything can happen!).

Also, in case you haven’t been paying attention to the football landscape outside the Mid-American Conference, the 2004 version of the Ohio State Buckeyes is not the team that brought home a national championship back in 2002. They’re record currently stands at 6-4. Their last win (11/6 @ MSU), made them eligible for a postseason bowl appearance, and I’m not talking about the bowls played after the new year.

The truth is, after their three-game losing streak, they should consider themselves lucky to get into any bowl, whether it’s the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, the Wyndham New Orleans Bowl, or anything in between.

I can’t say for sure if Ohio State has as much of a chance to end up in the Motor City Bowl as I hope they do, but if it’s going to happen, it will happen this year. That being said, I think that the NCAA Bowl Selection Committee should conspire wait, that’s such an ugly world I mean move some things in the lexicon of college football around (Hey, that sounds better!) so OSU ends up playing Bowling Green (should they win the MAC West), on December 27th, in Detroit’s Ford Field. Sadly, should this happen, I won’t be able to make it. See, there’s this small thing that I’m obligated to be a part of called Christmas. Oh well, there’s always television.

What’s that you say? Aww, man! You’re not supposed to do that? News flash! You’re trying to tell me that that has never happened before? I hate to burst your bubble and break your spirit by letting in on the secret that the world isn’t that perfect yet, but what I want to see happens numerous times every season. Do I have proof? No wait, even better, Do I need proof?!? This is a column. That gives me the right not to prove something. Man, I love this job.