Unaccounted keys raise concern

Too many non-issued building keys are traveling the University campus in the hands of many unknown.

Facilities Services have been in the process of updating records regarding keys issued to University employees and have found many instances of disregard for the approved University key ordering and issuing policy.

Help desk consultant for Facilities Services, Sandy Tolbert, believes too many safety concerns have been created by this problem.

“When people allow other people to use their keys and not return them and when keys are stolen or lost with ID’s, then we have to do emergency lock changes,” Tolbert said.

According to the key issuing policy, it is used for the security and benefit of everyone. The lock system and the University must be secure as possible and when any person leaves the University, all keys have to be returned to Facilities Services before receiving their final paycheck. Those that keep their keys can be subject to police action.

The biggest problem according to Tolbert is the transfer of master keys, which is strictly forbidden.

Tolbert said that it is ideal for department secretaries only to order keys from Facilities and Services. The key issuing process would run more smoothly and securely.

“If people just followed the [key issuing] policy we would have less lock changes, and it would save the University money.”