Author Howard Zinn to join the Resistance, Sunday night

This Sunday night, well known historian and author Howard Zinn will be interviewed on the on-campus radio show Audible Resistance.

Those interested in political issues and/or dissapointed with this year’s election should tune in. Graduate student and DJ Daniel Boudreau hosts Audible Resistance, which airs Sunday nights from 9:30 to 10:00 p.m. on 88.1 WBGU. The show was originally called “Operation Banish Bush,” but Boudreau changed its name to reflect the ongoing struggle for social justice which is broader than one administration.

Zinn’s groundbreaking book, “A People’s History of the United States,” sold over a million copies and gives readers an alternative look at history. Boudreau, originallly from Boston, emailed Zinn’s publicist and was suprised by his approachablity despite his iconic status. Zinn is currrently teaching classes at Boston College and does small media engagements.

Zinn’s newly published book, “Voices of a People’s History of the United States,” is a companion piece to his first book.

“He is the preeminent revisionist historian,” Boudreau said. “People who are revisionist historians write histories that don’t take the American mainstream narrative that we find in your average textbook. They write more challenging histories of our nation, histories firmly embedded in an optimistic and truly democratic spirit but histories that are critical of the way in which democracy is practiced and unfolds in our country.”

Boudreau is pleased and feels lucky that he got Zinn to talk on his show. Boudreau will talk with Zinn about the discipline of history and how it is taught in school.

Boudreau feels that people who read Zinn’s books cling to his writing and ideals like a favorite record that explains life.

“I want to talk to him broadly about what he feels learning history or taking a challenging look at history can offer people,” Boudreau said.

While Zinn is critical of the Bush Administration and a realist about what this means for American democracy, Boudre hopes to reveal his deep optimism and faith in humanity.

Leftists who are pessimistic, demoralized and scared about another four years of the Bush Administration, will gravitate towards Zinn’s viewpoints.

Readers can go to www.sevenstories.com and preview a copy of Zinn’s new book in order to familiarize themselves with the writer before Sunday night’s broadcast.