New course preps students for careers

For many graduating seniors, the graduation jitters can be calmed with the right preparation as the end looms ahead.

And graduating seniors may not know how to go about writing their resumes or analyzing the job market, or even just how to find a job.

Thus, the University is offering a Career Exploration course next spring to junior and senior students.

UNIV 331 will help students become familiar with the job market and explain the differences in resume styles and cover letter formats. It will also describe job-hunting strategies and analyze issues that impact the job market, and increase skill and confidence in interviewing situations.

According to Jessica Turos, Career Center Assistant Director, a vast number of students have responded to the mass e-mail sent to University students about this class.

“I believe that UNIV 331 is a course that can benefit students with their job and or graduate school search,” Turos said. “Due to the overwhelming response to the course, I believe that students see the value in such a course.”

Turos is co-teaching with Patty Watters a Career Center Graduate Assistant; the main assignments for the career exploration class include a mock interview project, resume and cover letter assignment, work on a portfolio, and other learning activities that will be useful in preparing for a future career.

UNIV 331 has been taught in the past, usually only spring semester and only offering one section. Turos said they are looking into offering more sections in the future and maybe even offering the course during fall semester if there is enough student interest.

“To maintain and environment conducive to learning we decided to cap off the course at 25 students,” Turos said. “It was filled completely quite early in the registration process and students are still inquiring about the course.”

At least 16 students have already been turned away this semester.

Senior Danielle Falvy was interested in the course to help understand what it is that employers want to see from students entering the job market.

“I’m not exactly sure what I need to do when I graduate,” Falvy said. “By taking UNIV, I could get a better understanding about what I have to do.”

It’s about finding jobs in a student’s major and what jobs students qualify for, Turos said. In the end she hopes students can recognize their work motives, career anchors, skills, values and interests.