Clutch performances puts Women’s Soccer in MAC’s

The Bowling Green women’s soccer team beat Toledo 3-0 last Thursday to secure a spot in the Mid-American Conference Tournament, which begins this week. Kristy Coppes opened scoring for the Falcons and Lindsay Carter added two goals. Carter’s pair of goals were the first of her collegiate career. Keeper Ali Shingler picked up the shutout in goal.

With only the top eight teams in the conference earning a tournament bid, Thursday’s game was vital to the Falcons’ post-season play.

Saturday, the Falcons struggled against Wright State, losing the match 1-0. The loss marked the squad’s last regular season game and gave them an overall record of 7-11-2 to finish out the season.

Bowling Green, with a conference record of 5-5-2, is seeded eighth in the MAC Tournament and will face number one seed Kent State today in a quarterfinal match at the KSU soccer field. Kent State finished their season 11-3-5 overall, 7-2-3 in the MAC.

Last year, the BG squad also had a 5-5-2 conference record going into the post-season tournament. The squad upset number one seed Eastern Michigan and went on to play in the tournament finals. The team is hoping for a similar upset against the Golden Flashes.

Kent State, coming off a 2-0 loss to Ohio State will not be an easy team to beat. The Falcons will have to step their game up and keep offensive and defensive errors to a minimum if they expect to walk away with a win.

The team has been unpredictable all season, often playing their best while under pressure. Experience with high-pressure situations will be a great advantage to the team as they attempt to pull off another tournament upset.

The match will kick off at 2 p.m. If the Falcons win, they will move on to the semifinals, which will be played on Friday.

Carter Receives Award:

Lindsay Carter was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week for her performance against Toledo.

The two second-half goals, the first and second of her career, helped guide BG to the MAC Tournament.

It is the first time that Carter, a sophomore has received this award.