Vote for the “Woodies”

Musical artists that may not have received commercial success, but have won the hearts of college students nationwide will finally be recognized with mtvU’s, “Woodie Awards,” airing in early November.

The “Woodie Awards” were created to honor artists that have made an impact on college students. The big award for “Artist of the Year” or “Woodie of the Year,” will be presented to one of the following nominees – Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, Jet, Anthony Hamilton, and the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s.

Stephen Friedman, general manager of mtvU, and Amy Doyle, head of music programming for mtvU, said, “Artists are the key thing. Compared to the VMA’s, “the Woodies” are less mainstream with no industry influences,” said Friedman and Doyle, “viewer voting factors in heavily.”

The award show is not just for students’ entertainment, but it is for the artists that have made a real impact on our daily lives. “Artists are thrilled, they ask their fan clubs to be involved in the voting,” Doyle said, “it gives them real exposure.”

What can you expect from “the Woodie Awards” this year? “exposure for great bands,” Friedman and Doyle said, “it will set the texture and tone of mtvU. It’s all about finding great music.”

Since the “Woodie Awards” are trying to keep away from the mainstream and big industries, “MtvU collects buzz about artists from on-line traffic, attention from magazines, and college radio charts,” Friedman and Doyle said.

MtvU is currently airing in 700 colleges nationwide and is available in the Founders Dining Hall.

Check out the complete category listing and artist involved while at the Web site, where you can cast your vote for your favorite artists. Voting ends today, and the awards are handed out in early November.