Domestic violence confronted

The University will observe Domestic Violence Awareness Month beginning today with the Silent Witness Unveiling.

The unveiling of 30 life-sized silhouettes will take place at noon in Olscamp Hall, room 101B, and is the first of seven events that will occur on campus this month.

Rebecca Nichols Theis, the Women’s Center’s victim advocate expects a nice size audience at the campus’ third annual Silent Witness Unveiling.

“The Silent Witness is a very powerful ceremony to honor women in northwest Ohio who were murdered as a result of domestic violence,” Theis said.

In addition to the unveiling, there will also be an open microphone for family members of the victims, as well as others, to speak or share experiences.

Deidra Bennett, coordinator of the Transformation Project at the Women’s Center, said she hopes that by talking about the women who have been murdered, it will make domestic violence less of a private issue.

“When we actually tell someone’s story who is from our community, it makes it more real to us,” Bennett said.

In addition to the Silent Witness Project, another event on campus is the Animal Cruelty and Family Violence Workshop. This event takes place on Oct. 19 in the Ice Arena Lounge at noon. It takes a closer look at the relationship between cruelty to animals and other types of abuse.

On Oct. 20 and 21, the Clothesline Project will take place on the Education Building Lawn from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For this event, over 400 T-shirts made by survivors or friends and family members of survivors of domestic violence will be displayed. Different colored shirts will be used to represent different crimes, and a white shirt will represent a woman who has been murdered.

Bennett says she hopes the outcome of the event will let other women who have been victims of domestic violence know they are not alone and that help is available.

“We hope to raise awareness about domestic violence and dating violence in our community, as well as provide help for those who need it,” Bennett said.

In conjunction with the Clothesline Project is Hands are Not for Hurting. The event will take place on the Education Building steps, and will give students an opportunity to take a pledge against violence by leaving a handprint to represent their commitment.

The month’s activities will conclude with the Silent Witness Re-Shrouding at noon on Nov. 3 in Prout Chapel. Here, friends, family members and supporters will gather to pay tribute to women who have lost their lives to domestic violence. The event is meant to be a reminder that women affected by domestic violence won’t be forgotten.

Theis said she expects these events and activities to help inform the students on campus.

“I hope the events raise awareness on campus so people understand there are resources to help,” she said.