November 30, 2023

• Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]
  • Found Family Books for the Holidays
    The holidays are quickly approaching and for some of us that means seeing our family. However, family has a loose definition. It could mean blood or who you were raised with. It could also mean people you’ve found during your life journey. Either way, the holidays are meant for spending quality time with those you […]

Soccer hopes to continue winning

The BG women’s soccer team returns home this weekend with hopes of establishing a legitimate winning streak after a pair of road wins last weekend. The squad is 3-8-1 overall and 1-3-1 in the Mid-American Conference. They will face MAC opponents Miami (OH) on Friday and Ball State on Sunday.

Head coach Andy Richards said that last weekend’s wins were just what the squad needed to boost their confidence after a long nine game winless series. Richards expects the team to face quality conference competition this weekend from Miami and Ball State.

“They’re both excellent programs who have performed well in the conference, especially Miami. We respect them tremendously as programs. They will both be very tough games,” he said.

Miami sits at third place in the MAC with a 6-4-1 overall record. The Redhawks lost to Ohio 1-0 and beat Marshall 3-2 last weekend, giving them a 4-1-1 conference record. They will be sure to give the Falcons a good fight, as they try to move up in the conference rankings.

Ball State is 2-2-4 in the MAC and 6-2-4 overall. Ball State also beat Marshall last weekend with a score of 1-0, then lost to Ohio 3-0. Ball State will try to improve their seventh place conference ranking this weekend.

Just over halfway through the season, Richards and the Falcon players are focusing on continuing to dominate their opposition and controlling play.

“At this stage of the season, we have to be a little proactive and make sure we play the way we want to play,” Richards said.

The Falcons are healthy heading into the weekend aside from some expected bumps and bruises. Keeper Jenifer Kernahan has the team’s lone injury. She is rehabbing a torn ACL and should be back in action within the next few weeks.

This weekend’s action kicks off this after noon at 4 p.m. at BG’s own Cochrane Field. Sunday’s match will also be at home and will begin at Noon.