Alumni donations benefit BGSU

Ever wonder why it’s so important to project a good image to alumni? Over the weekend at the Homecoming ceremonies, the announcement was made that two BGSU alumni would be donating $4.4 million over five years to the University — the second largest gift in University history. The majority of this money will be used for the construction of the Sebo Student Athlete Center. This money will also expand the Sebo Entrepreneurship Lecture Series, support a WBGU-PBS documentary about successful regional entrepreneurs and enhance the College of Musical Arts with an expanded jazz studies scholarship and funding for a spring concert. With the help of University alumni, this campus keeps getting better. More programs are made available to students through donations such as the one announced this past weekend. Although this gift was a large one, focused towards a big project, any donation made by alumni helps. It is nice to see the alumni giving back to a University who has given to them throughout their lives. We, as current students appreciate these gifts. The gifts also benefit the alumni themselves as they help to make the alumni’s alma mater more impressive. The reputation of BGSU improves as programs expand and the campus continues to make additions. To understand the generosity from a different perspective, we college students are also high school alumni. High schools — especially Catholic high schools, which are privately funded — rely heavily on donations from past graduates to keep up with cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art facilities. Since our high school commencement, we have been receiving letters in the mail about alumni gatherings and even high school reunions. Granted, some of us did not enjoy high school, and will scoff at these alumni fund raisers. But those of us who enjoyed our time at high school may consider giving back to their alma mater, because they understand that maintenance of quality education requires money, and alumni donations are an important source. The chain of generosity can become infinite. When an alumnus give back to BGSU, the campus improves. In turn, current students will have more memorable experiences here, and will donate to the University after their time here.