Delta Sigma Phi holds a love auction for charities

How would you like to win a slave man or woman for the night? If you’re still contemplating the idea, a portion of the proceeds will go to three charities. Interested yet?

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. is hosting its annual Love Auction tonight in the Union.

A love auction is when models are auctioned off to the highest bidder for the chance at a date with the model. However these are not real models from magazines. These models volunteered for the position by responding to flyers the sorority posted a month in advance to the event.

The event is a mere $7. It has become a regular event on campus being held annually for a few years. The $7 ticket cost includes admission to the event as well as five “Delta Dollars.” These “Delta Dollars” are what the bidders use to bid and, in turn, win a date with the model of their choice. Contemplating bidders may also purchase additional “Delta Dollars” at the auction. One real dollar is equal to two “Delta Dollars” so with ten dollars a student can purchase twenty “Delta Dollars”. For student convenience the tickets are also bursarable.

The auction is not just for men, or just for women. The sorority took care to make sure both sexes can participate by bringing in male and female models to bid on. There are a total of 12 models to bid on.

In preparation for the event, Delta Sigma Theta received sponsorships from local restaurants to help pay for the costs. One of their largest sponsors is Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches. The event has been held annually for at least five years.

They plan to donate a portion of their proceeds to Habitat for Humanity, the Dance Marathon, and a new women’s shelter scheduled to open in January called The Cocoon.

In addition to the Love Auction, Delta Sigma Theta has participated in the Dance Marathon. They are also holding an event called the Jabberwock in March, which is a variety show where a scholarship will be given away.

The event is being held today in the Multi-Purpose room in the Union at 7 p.m.